WestEd’s Formative Insights team leads transformative professional learning experiences in formative assessment with thousands of educators across the nation.
Our Approach: Scaling Systemic Change
We facilitate an overall paradigm shift toward shared responsibility for learning by helping you
- Advance formative assessment practices
- Leverage evidence of learning, give and receive feedback, and adjust instruction to meet the unique needs of every student
- Create policies and systems to scale and sustain the use of formative assessment
- Promote shared ownership of vision and outcomes
We blend professional learning with thought partnership, coaching, and capacity-building to scale formative assessment practices systemwide.
We provide site-specific, tailored services in four areas for your school, district or state system:
- Scaling Teacher Learning
- Developing Teacher Leaders and Coaches
- Building Leadership Capacity
- Supporting Statewide Scaling
Scaling Teacher Learning
Learn to introduce new classroom instructional routines based on formative assessment principles and cultivate an inclusive culture of student-centered learning. See below for specific courses designed to support you in all stages of your practice.
- Student Agency in Learning
- Developing Student Agency through Collaborative Video Study
- Introductory Formative Assessment Institutes
Developing Teacher Leaders and Coaches
Expand your expertise to lead classroom observations and engage teachers in peer review to advance formative assessment practices.
- Formative Assessment Inter-Rater Reliability (FAIR Online/Blended Course)
- Professional Learning Series for Leading Plan, Observe and Debrief Cycles
Building Leadership Capacity
Strengthen your knowledge of formative assessment, continuously assess how implementation efforts are progressing, and develop innovative policies and systems of teacher support.
Supporting Statewide Scaling
Supporting states to establish common expectations, supportive conditions, and effective capacity-building strategies for scaling up formative assessment.
- Technical Assistance
To learn more about how WestEd can help you implement and scale formative assessment processes, contact Nancy Gerzon at [email protected].