Assessment System Visualizer
- The ASV can also help answer questions about the characteristics of individual assessments and assessment systems.
- It allows users to group assessments by different variables to provide information on how assessments are distributed (e.g., the number of assessments administered in each grade, in each content area, etc.).
- The ASV lets users privately input data for the assessments administered in your state, district, school, or classroom. The ASV immediately creates data visualizations around key variables and/or questions to highlight how balanced, comprehensive, or broadly/narrowly focused the assessment system is as a whole.
Please note that the utility of the ASV relies upon users having collected relevant data regarding assessments and assessment systems before accessing the tool. The combination of collecting an inventory of assessments, coupled with the ASV’s built-in graphics applied to data, is empowering for anyone wanting to make good decisions to improve assessment systems.
See the “Getting Started” section below for additional information.
The ASV is intended to be a tool for anyone looking to organize, display, question, and share information about their assessment system, whether it is a state- or classroom-level assessment system. Access the Assessment System Visualizer.
There are three essential steps to successfully using the ASV:
- First, you or your team will need to collect information about your state, district, school, or classroom assessments and assessment system. For help conducting this inventory, this organizing template may be useful. You can collect information about all or some of the variables suggested. The more data you collect, the more data you can visualize, and the more questions you can probe and answer.
- Second, create an account on the ASV site.
- Third, log in and fill out a simple form to enter the data about each of your assessments.
Once your data have been entered, you can:
- Select variables in easy-to-use menus to create graphs of 1, 2, 3, or 4 variables at a time to illustrate commonalities and differences among assessment characteristics within an assessment system.
- Apply filters to graph specific subsets of the assessments in your whole assessment system.
- Review sample questions to help you analyze and discover strengths, weaknesses, or patterns in your assessment system.
- Share specific visualizations of your data with others so that you can collaborate without requiring everyone to create an account.
- Add new assessments or edit existing entries to add more data that you can then graph at any time.
Scope of the ASV
- The ASV can help answer questions about the characteristics of individual assessments and assessment systems.
- The ASV can group assessments by different variables to provide information on how assessments are distributed (e.g., the number of assessments administered in each grade, in each subject/content area, etc.).
How to Get Help
- For detailed instructions on how to use the tool, go to the Assessment System Visualizer User Guide.
- For additional guidance on creating meaningful data visualizations, see
- For support using the ASV, email email@example.com.
Have a Suggestion?
- We want to hear from you!
- If you have ideas for additional fields or features or think a change should be made to improve the ASV, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.