Formative assessment provides a clear path forward to this kind of teaching and learning experience, and site leadership is critical for creating the conditions needed for formative assessment to take root.
This brief provides a framework for how leaders can go about doing this, highlighting five leadership practices that appear to enhance the implementation:
- Fostering understanding of formative assessment
- Communicating a vision for formative assessment that highlights expected changes in the student role
- Modeling a culture of learning in which adult learners, like student learners, use evidence from and get feedback on daily practice to guide their own learning
- Leading site-based professional learning in which teachers engage with new content and build shared capacity to implement formative assessment
- Nurturing the conditions necessary for the changes associated with implementing and scaling formative assessment