WestEd’s Strategic Development and Technical Assistance (SD&TA) team partners with states, districts, and schools to help ensure that standards, assessments, and/or accountability programs, policies, and systems are in place to support K-12 student learning. Our strategic plans are customized and incorporate evidence-based approaches.
This effort is intended to support state and local jurisdictions with meeting accountability expectations emerging from reauthorization of the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (Every Student Succeeds Act).
The SD&TA team, housed in WestEd’s Standards, Assessment, & Accountability Services program, works with clients to identify needs, challenges, and goals, and to develop a customized strategic plan that reflects client priorities and incorporates evidence-based approaches. Through the process, we help clients enhance their internal capacity in this important area of work.
In general, we offer three levels of service:
- Level I – Strategy Consultation: At the least intensive level, the SD&TA team will meet and work with clients to identify their goals and objectives, priorities, and potential challenges to meeting their goals.
- Level II – Development of Processes and Protocols: At the next level, the SD&TA team will build on the strategy consultation to help clients set a timeline for meeting their goals and objectives, and develop processes and protocols to guide their work.
- Level III – Partnered Implementation: At the deepest level of support, SD&TA team members will support implementation and refinement of the developed processes through the entire timeframe of the project – providing formative evaluation and coaching to leadership team members to help build on-site capacity for continuing and scaling up the work.
Drawing on our team’s collective experience and expertise, we leverage our knowledge of the policy landscape and of current national implementation practices to help develop strategic solutions for our clients. We have:
- Helped states from every region develop assessment systems reflecting state policies and best practice
- Served on state assessment-and-accountability advisory committees
- Provided support for state education agencies on educator effectiveness and district accountability
To learn more, contact Bryan Hemberg at email@example.com or 510.302.4298.